Revealed: The Guest Bathroom

April 19, 2011

Since most of our projects are still in progress, I thought we'd share what we've done with the guest bathroom so far (because it too is a work in progress).  When we first walked through the house, the bathroom was in pretty decent shape.  It just needed a bit of TLC:





Thanks to Craig (aka "The Demolition Man"), he was able to get the room looking like this in less than a day:


Putting it all back together took a little longer than that.  Okay, a lot longer.  We had stripped the room down the first weekend in October 2009.  We had expected it to take about a week, maybe two at the most, to finish it all off.  But things never go as they're planned, do they?  We ended up finishing the room in about mid-January 2010, right before we had overnight visitors who would require their own bathroom.   I'll save the play-by-play and source list for another time, but after four months of rookie mistakes, trials-and-errors and "we-should-do-this-for-a-living" moments (not too many of those), here's what we ended up with:



We pretty much replaced everything in the room except the vanity.  All of the fixtures (tub, toilet, shower doors, sink, lighting, faucets, shower head, etc.) were donated to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and replaced with more water- and energy-efficient ones.  The existing vanity was beefed up a bit and stained a darker brown to help keep costs down.  Stay tuned for a more detailed post about what we did (not entirely chronicled because we had no idea at the time we'd need the pics for our very own blog).

Now I want to ask for your opinion on something that's been bugging me about this room for a while.  Like I said before, the room is finished, but to me it's still not "finished" finished.  We're happy with all the choices we made in the room, except for the lack of personality.  Seriously, I've seen hotel bathrooms with more personality than in this room!  Any ideas on how I can inject a little more life into the space?  I think the place to add a little something-something would be right over the toilet:

 

We actually bought a towel rack for that spot, but would that make it more impersonal?  Should I just put up some artwork, and if so, just one big picture or several small ones?  A mini gallery wall?  Shelf with a plant?  I need help!

2 comments:

elisa said...

Artwork definitely! You've already got a towel rack on the other wall. Can you put some humidity loving plants in the window sill? It's pretty deep isn't it?

loveshack said...

The sill isn't that deep. I think I'll stay away from foliage for now. Now to browse through etsy to find some fun artwork (unless you can whip something up for me!).

Post a Comment