Laundry Room Progress

April 12, 2011

Because we can't seem to work on only one project at a time, I thought I'd share what Craig's been up to these days (with help from dad).  I've given them my ideas for the laundry room and I think they've done an amazing job so far (with little supervision from moi...just the way they like it!):

Here's the view of the laundry room when you walk in (pardon the mess...he's still working on the mudding and taping):


{ Nice toe kick, Craig! }

We hope to have the whole thing painted by this weekend (finally...something I get to help out with!).  The countertop and sink are both from Home Depot and the cabinetry is from Ikea.  We'll be installing a backsplash on top of the plywood that you see, and those two holes above the sink will be where we'll be attaching the faucet.  I forgot to take a picture of it for this post, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Here's a close up of the shelving unit that Craig and dad built at the end of the counter:


The countertop actually didn't fit across the whole span (it's a whopping 11 feet, people!).  So to save some moolah (somewhere in the $1K range), we bought a stock 10-foot piece from Home Depot and built this shelving unit to make up the 1-foot difference.  I love it when projects are both functional and pretty.  But it's not really the latter right now.  Since it's the first thing your eye is drawn to when you walk into the room, I'd like to dress it up a bit with some baskets and possibly some wallpaper.  We shall see how creative I can get with a zillion other projects on the go!  It might have to stay as-is for the time being.  And that black cord you see coming out of the left side of the shelving unit will be where my TV will be mounted.  You see, this will be more than just a laundry room.  It will be my sanctuary (or where I go to hide and watch all my soaps...get it?  Soaps as in soap operas?  Never mind.  I don't like soaps anyway.)

We've decided to get a small fridge/freezer for the space beside the entrance to the room to the right of the sink.  We won't be getting one anytime soon, but when we do, it will live right here:


And now for some of the fixtures.  We're going to install two schoolhouse lights from Home Depot to give the room some character.  I think they'll tie in nicely with the old school faucet and deep washbasin sink:


I was also able to find two 8-foot long jute runners from Homesense (yay, no more cold feet!) and a couple of pretty knobs for the cabinets (both from Home Depot):


I'm also planning on hacking an Ikea island into an ironing board and building a couple of drying racks.  There are not enough hours in a day for all of the ideas that are bouncing around in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment