Spring Has (Finally) Sprung

May 9, 2011

With above zero temperatures over the last few weeks, I think it's safe to say that spring in E-town has finally arrived.  We've been rocking the "cranberry wreath" from Canadian Tire every Christmas since we moved in (for a grand total of two Christmases):


And that very same wreath had been hanging proudly on our front door up until this past weekend as evidenced in the photo below:

{ Yes, this was up until Friday, May 6, 2011.  Oops, I really need to touch-up paint. }

I just wasn't ready to take it down until I was absolutely sure that we were done with the snow.  But since we were hosting a Mother's Day brunch for my mom yesterday, I thought it was about time to take it down.  But I really wanted to have something on the door for a bit of colour and after a quick Google search, I came up with this wreath as my inspiration.  After a stop at Michael's (with my trusty 25% off coupon) to gather up all of my supplies, I was raring to go:

We opted for a straw wreath form since the foam one was a bit pricey (and by pricey I mean $15).  The wreath we brought home wasn't actually wrapped like you see above.  It was just a big ol' circle of straw.  Craig came up with the idea of wrapping it up in plastic wrap to create a smooth surface since he knew I would be tearing my hair out while trying to keep the straw bits from showing through the yarn.  Just like in the inspiration wreath, we went with white yarn, and grey, pink and fuschia felt squares for the flowers.  In the end, we didn't end up using the embroidery floss or needles since I decided I didn't want it looking exactly like the inspiration wreath, so they'll be going back for a refund (more money saved...always a good thing!).

I won't bore you with the details, but basically I spent a few hours wrapping the wreath form with the white yarn and making felt flowers a la this tutorial.  Here's what I finally ended up with:













It turned out a lot better than I had expected!  I have a feeling I'll be making a few more of these over the next few months...

No comments:

Post a Comment